Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sweet and Sour Pork

1 lb. pork

1 small onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 20 oz. can chunk pineapple

juice, drained from canned pineapple

¼ cup brown sugar

¼ cup vinegar

2 T. cornstarch

Cut pork into small pieces and brown in pan. Add onion and green pepper and stir fry a little longer. For sauce, drain juice from pineapple. Set the pineapple aside. Pour all the juice into a jar, add cornstarch (flour can be substituted), and shake vigorously to mix. Pour juice/cornstarch mixture into pan with other ingredients. Add brown sugar and vinegar. Stir ingredients constantly on low to medium heat until the sauce thickens. Cook until green pepper is desired tenderness. Add pineapple last. Serve with rice.



this is really yummy.

I made a couple of 'substitutions' for this recipe. I used about half white vinegar and half apple cider vinegar. then, instead of the pineapple chunks, I used the tidbits because the chunks were a bit too big. Also I only used about half the pineapple because for my taste there was a bit too much pineapple. then we just snack on the left over pineapple or serve it along side in case anyone wants more.
a new substitution I have made in the last couple of years... I only use one can of Pineapple tidbits and one small can of pineapple juice so I'm not opening up two cans of pineapple and having it be wasted.

No comments: